Check out the PB articles below, and visit our Full Article Library for more!
- By PBP: How to Start Participatory Budgeting in Your City, Maria Hadden and Josh Lerner, 2011.
- The Participatory Budgeting Toolkit, The PB Unit, 2009.
- 72 Frequently Asked Questions about Participatory Budgeting, UN-Habitat, 2004.
- A Guide to Participatory Budgeting, Brian Wampler, 2000.
- By PBP: Evaluation Report of Participatory Budgeting at Toronto Community Housing, Josh Lerner & Joanna Duarte Laudon, 2010.
- A People’s Budget: A Research and Evaluation Report on Year 2 of Participatory Budgeting in New York City, the Community Development Project with the PBNYC Research Team, 2013.
- A People’s Budget: A Research and Evaluation Report on the Pilot Year of Participatory Budgeting in New York City, the Community Development Project with the PBNYC Research Team, 2012.
PB in North America
- By PBP: By the People, For the People: Participatory Budgeting from the Bottom Up in North America, Josh Lerner & Donata Secondo, Journal of Public Deliberation, 2012.
- By PBP: Participatory Budgeting: Building Community Agreement around Tough Budget Decisions, Josh Lerner, National Civic Review, 2011.
- By PBP: Chicago’s $1.3 Million Experiment in Democracy: Participatory Budgeting in the 49th Ward, Josh Lerner & Megan Wade Antieau, YES! Magazine, 2010.
- By PBP: Participatory Budgeting in North America: The Case of Guelph, Canada, Elizabeth Pinnington, Josh Lerner & Daniel Schugurensky, 2009.
- Putting in their 2 Cents: For Some New Yorkers, A Grand Experiment in Participatory Budgeting, New York Times, 2012.
- The Voters Speak: Yes to Bathrooms, New York Times, 2012.
PB Around the World
- By PBP: The Citizens of Porto Alegre, Gianpaolo Baiocchi, Boston Review, 2006.
- By PBP: Participation, Activism, and Politics: The Porto Alegre Experiment, Gianpaolo Baiocchi, in Deepening Democracy: Institutional Innovations in Empowered Participatory Governance, 2003.
- By PBP: Radicals in Power: The Workers’ Party (PT) and Experiments in Urban Democracy in Brazil, Gianpaolo Baiocchi (ed.), 2003.
- Participatory Budgeting in Porto Alegre: Toward a Redistributive Democracy, Boaventura de Sousa Santos, Politics & Society, 1998.
- Participatory Budgets in Europe: Between Efficiency and Growing Local Democracy, Giovanni Allegretti and Carsten Herzberg, The Transnational Institute, 2007.
- Children and Young People Build Participatory Democracy in Latin American Cities, Yves Cabannes, Environment and Urbanization, 2006.
- Citizenship Knows No Age: Children’s Participation in the Governance and Municipal Budget of Barra Mansa, Brazil, in Eliana Guerra, Environment and Urbanization, 2002.
Technology and PB
- Beyond Theory: E-Participatory Budgeting and its Promises for eParticipation, Tiago Piexoto, European Journal of ePractice, 2009.