DATE: Thursday, January 18th
TIME: 4pm - 5pm EST | 1pm - 2pm PST
Join the Participatory Budgeting Project (PBP) and the Phoenix Union High School District (PUHSD) to see how students, teachers, administrators, and parents are improving schools and magnifying student voice through participatory budgeting (PB).
Our free webinar will feature PUHSD Student Support Services Manager, Cyndi Tercero-Sandoval, Philadelphia school teacher, Liza Meiris, and students from Phoenix and Philadelphia to share their lessons putting PBP’s Participatory Budgeting in Schools Guide into action.
As the first school district in the U.S. to do PB with school district-wide funds in 2016, the PUHSD team has lots to share. They completed their first year of PB with an impressive 83% voter turnout rate in partnership with the County Recorder's Office. Now in their second year, ten public high schools are empowering students to decide how to spend more than $55,000 in school district funds.
In Philadelphia, an enthusiastic team of students and educators launched an incredible PB process on their own - with support from our PB in Schools Guide. They generated excitement across the school through assemblies, outreach, campaigning, and more!
We hope you'll join our free webinar to hear more about how school PB:
- builds understanding of school budgets,
- provides leadership development for students,
- engages the parents and families of students - often empowering immigrants, people of color, and low-income families,
- directs funds to pressing needs and innovative ideas,
- and supports students in learning democracy by doing it.
For more information, visit the Participatory Budgeting Project online.
- Can you sign up as a PBNYC poll worker? - March 21, 2018
- Will you dedicate your birthday to democracy? - March 20, 2018
- PBP Leadership Change & Annual Report: Transforming Democracy - March 6, 2018