You know that participatory budgeting (PB) is a better way to empower communities. You know that PB engages them in finding solutions. You know that PB builds new connections that make communities more resilient.
PB makes increases trust in government and reduces corruption by making budgets transparent.
PB is making healthy, actively engaged communities.
We know it’s a tough time to be working on engagement and democracy. People are tired of politics as usual, tired of their voices not being heard. Our democracy is not working.
At PBP, we have a solution: Share real power over real money, launch PB in your community!
Thousands of people across North America and around the world are already taking budgets into their own hands and building civic power with PB.
Your next step is to join us to learn the skills necessary to launch PB in your community.
NOVEMBER 30, 2017 | 42 Broadway, Manhattan, NY 10004 | 10a-5p
Leaders like you, in more than 3,000 cities, municipalities, schools, and organizations have started PB, for three main reasons:
- It’s Effective. The process motivates broad participation and engages communities in finding solutions that respond to community needs.
- It’s Fair. PB engages a true cross-section of the community. More people get inspired and involved, including those who often can’t or don’t participate like youth and immigrants.
- It’s Visionary. By supporting their communities to become more resilient and connected, leaders who do PB build a legacy as bold and innovative.
Now’s the time to dig deeper and learn more about how to get started!
Join us — and other PB organizers from across the East Coast — for a PB training in NYC this fall!
At this full day PB training you will:
- Become a PB expert.
- You will gain an understanding of PB and why it’s a best practice for public participation through experiential learning.
- You will practice skills including PB facilitation and implementation planning.
- Plan to bring PB to your community.
- You will learn how to build an advocacy plan to gain the support of key community leaders.
- You will practice presenting PB and overcoming common obstacles.
- You will create a detailed plan for next steps to support your organizing work to launch PB.
- Connect to a network of civic leaders like you.
- You will forge connections peers who are working to change the way democracy works in their communities through PB.
DATE: Thursday, November 30
TIME: 10am-5pm Eastern
LOCATION: 42 Broadway, Manhattan, NY 10004
COST: $225 early bird (before November 1) / $285 (after November 1)
REGISTER NOW: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3091652
The training team will be lead by Melissa Appleton. Melissa manages the implementation of participatory budgeting projects and innovations on the East Coast for the Participatory Budgeting Project. With over eight years of experience supporting group and inter-personal dialogue as a facilitator, mediator, and trainer at the largest community mediation organization in the US (New York Peace Institute), she brings a passion for collective decision-making to participatory budgeting. Melissa is happy to be supporting group deliberation and participation with diverse communities more locally after doing conflict resolution work internationally in Timor-Leste, Kosovo, and Israel. She received a graduate degree in Peace Education from Columbia University and, though a proud Vancouver B.C. native, has called New York City home for 12 years.