A quick update on Participatory Budgeting in Chicago’s 49th Ward, which continues to move ahead. We’ve set up a Steering Committee of over 30 community organizations, which has been designing the PB process for the past few months. We’re now finishing up the rulebook, which will include guidelines for the neighborhood assemblies, the geographic breakdown of the ward, thematic focuses for spending, selection of projects and community representatives, and roles of key actors.
The plan as it stands now is:
– October/November: neighborhood assemblies to identify spending needs and project ideas, and select community representatives
– November-February: meetings of community representatives, to turn project ideas into full proposals
– March 2010: a single voting day and assembly, to select projects to be funded
We’ll post more news here as it develops.
- Participatory Budgeting Project (PBP) Data/Technology internship for the Participation Lab - January 13, 2017
- PBP’s Flickr Gallery - October 13, 2015
- Research Series: PB in the life of Brian. - September 22, 2015