Looking for a short introduction to Participatory Budgeting (PB), or sample materials from other cities? Take a look at our info sheets, guides, books, and sample PB materials below!
YOU can help reinvent democracy! Participatory budgeting depends on small and large contributions from hundreds of people. You can help support the movement for PB by spreading the word, donating, and volunteering. And if you live in a community using PB, you can take part in deciding how to spend your public money!
About Participatory Budgeting (PB)
- Next Generation Democracy White Paper [download here]
- Info Sheet About PB & PBP
PB Guides & Toolkits
PB in Schools
- PB in Schools Full Guide (click to sign up for download)
- PB in Schools info sheet (link: pb-in-schools-info-sheet)
- PB in Schools info sheet (en español) (link: pb-in-schools-info-sheet_es)
PB Evaluation and Research tools
- 15 Key Metrics for Evaluating Participatory Budgeting:
- Research and Evaluation of Participatory Budgeting in the US and Canada from Public Agenda
- Participatory Budgeting Evaluation Tip Sheet from Public Agenda
Sample PB Materials
- Brochure from PBNYC (link: brochurefrompbnyc_pbp)
- Brochure from PBNYC (en español) (link: pbnyc_brochure_spanish_pbp)
- Flyer for PB Assemblies from PBNYC (link: neigh_assmbly_flyer_english_8x11pbnyc_pbp)
- Info Sheet from PB Greensboro (link: greensboroinfosheet_pbp)
- Postcard from PB Greensboro (link: pb_postcard_pbp)
- PBNYC 2016 Rulebook (link: pbnyc2016_2017-rulebook_pbp)
- Cambridge 2015 Rulebook (link: cambridgerulebook2014-2015final_pbp)
- Boston Youth Process 2014 Rulebook (link: 2014-15-rulebook-ylc-pb-boston_pbp)
- Seattle Youth Process 2015 Rulebook (link: youthvoiceyouthchoicerulebook15-16_pbp)
- Greensboro 2015 Rulebook (link: greensboro2015rulebook_pbp)
- Ballot from PBNYC (link: ballotpbnycd38en-mar-20-14-pbp)
- Ballot from PBNYC (en español) (link: ballotpbnycd8spanish_pbp)
- Ballot from Boston Youth Process (link: bostonballot_pbp)
- Ballot from Greensboro District 1 (link: greensboro2016ballotd1eng_pbp)
- Seattle 2015 Youth Process Ballot (link: seattle2015ballot_pbp)
Books by Josh Lerner, PBP's Executive Director:
Could "Participatory Budgeting" Change Democracy?
In Everyone Counts, PBP co-founder and executive director Josh Lerner provides a concise history of the organization's origins and its vision, highlighting its real-world successes in fostering grassroots budgeting campaigns in such cities as New York, Boston, and Chicago. Read more from Cornell University Press.