This video was created as a PB² winning project!
PB² is participatory budgeting for PBP - learn more here.
Click here for this video in Spanish; Chinese; French; Portuguese; or for a shorter version of this video.
- Participatory Budgeting’s Promise for Democracy, Carolin Hagelskamp & Matt Leighninger, Governing, 2016.
- By PBP: How to Start Participatory Budgeting in Your City, Maria Hadden and Josh Lerner, 2011.
- The Participatory Budgeting Toolkit, The PB Unit, 2009.
- 72 Frequently Asked Questions about Participatory Budgeting, UN-Habitat, 2004.
- A Guide to Participatory Budgeting, Brian Wampler, 2000.
- Public Spending, by the People: Participatory Budgeting in the United States and Canada in 2014 - 15, Public Agenda, 2016.
- A People’s Budget: A Research and Evaluation Report on Year 2 of Participatory Budgeting in New York City, the Community Development Project with the PBNYC Research Team, 2013.
- A People’s Budget: A Research and Evaluation Report on the Pilot Year of Participatory Budgeting in New York City, the Community Development Project with the PBNYC Research Team, 2012.
- By PBP: Evaluation Report of Participatory Budgeting at Toronto Community Housing, Josh Lerner & Joanna Duarte Laudon, 2010.
PB Advocacy and Opinion
- *By PBP* From Defunding to Reinvestment: Why We Need to Scale Participatory Budgeting. Michael Menser, Nonprofity Quarterly, 2020.
- *By PBP* Government can’t solve budget battles? Let citizens do it.Daniel Altschuler and Josh Lerner, The Christian Science Monitor, 2011.
- *By PBP* A Great Antidote to Lack of Faith in Government. Brad Lander, The Huffington Post, 2011.
- The Cure For Member Item Abuse. Morgan Pehme, City & State, 2012.
- A People’s Budget for New York City. Youjin B. Kim, Demos, 2012.
- City Budgeting & Gov 2.0: A Match Made in Heaven? Darren Sharp, Shareable, 2011.
PB Around the World
- *By PBP* Budgeting for Equity: How Can Participatory Budgeting Advance Equity in the United States? Madeleine Pape & Josh Lerner, Journal of Public Deliberation, 2016.
- Participatory Budgeting: Core principles and Key Impacts, Brian Wampler, Journal of Public Deliberation, 2012.
- Why Paris is Building the World’s Biggest Participatory Budget, Pauline Véron, New Cities Foundation, 2015.
- Review of 1st Generation Participatory Budgeting in Scotland, Chris Harkins, Katie Moore, & Oliver Escobar, What Works Scotland, 2016.
- *By PBP* The Power of Ambiguity: How Participatory Budgeting Travels the Globe, Ernesto Ganuza & Gianpaolo Baiocchi, Journal of Public Deliberation, 2012.
- The Journal of Public Deliberation, Volume 8, Issue 2 (2012): The Spread of Participatory Budgeting Across the Globe: Adoption, Adaptation, and Impacts. ed. Brian Wampler & Janette Hartz-Karp
PB in North America
- *By PBP* By the People, For the People: Participatory Budgeting from the Bottom Up in North America, Josh Lerner & Donata Secondo, Journal of Public Deliberation, 2012.
- *By PBP* Participatory Budgeting: Building Community Agreement around Tough Budget Decisions, Josh Lerner, National Civic Review, 2011.
- *By PBP* Chicago’s $1.3 Million Experiment in Democracy: Participatory Budgeting in the 49th Ward, Josh Lerner & Megan Wade Antieau, YES! Magazine, 2010.
- *By PBP* Participatory Budgeting in North America: The Case of Guelph, Canada, Elizabeth Pinnington, Josh Lerner & Daniel Schugurensky, 2009.
- Putting in their 2 Cents: For Some New Yorkers, A Grand Experiment in Participatory Budgeting, New York Times, 2012.
- The Voters Speak: Yes to Bathrooms, New York Times, 2012.
Youth in PB
- Citizenship Knows No Age: Children’s Participation in the Governance and Municipal Budget of Barra Mansa, Brazil, in Eliana Guerra, Environment and Urbanization, 2002.
- Children and Young People Build Participatory Democracy in Latin American Cities, Yves Cabannes, Environment and Urbanization, 2006.
- What makes young people more excited about politics? Deciding how to spend municipal budgets, Celina Su, The Washington Post, 2016.
- Students get piece of the action after seeking a say in budget, John Fensterwald, EdSource, 2015.
- What Happened When the City of Boston Asked Teenagers for Help With the Budget, Hollie Russon Gilman, Next City, 2014.
- How Would Students Spend the Principal’s Money? Matt Cohen & Daniel Schugurensky, Zocalo Public Square, TIME, 2015.