We are proud to share our newest tool to make civics education meaningful by putting real money on the table, our new Participatory Budgeting (PB) in Schools video!
This video introduces you to participatory budgeting in schools by showing you how it worked in Phoenix. Featuring interviews with students, teachers, principals, local elected officials, and the superintendent — see how PB can be a tool for learning democracy while building stronger schools.
Now we need your help to share the video and redefine the way democracy is learned.
1. Share this video!
Connect with students, parents, educators, school administrators, PTAs or anyone who wants to see the future of democracy start today. PB takes work from committed volunteers, but learning the importance of real democracy as a school community is worth it!
- Share This Link on Facebook
- Click to share a prepared tweet or use the hashtag #ParticipatoryBudgeting and tag us @PBProject!
- Share our vimeo link on other social channels
- Or, for the most impact, email one person who you know could use this video to make a real difference!
2. Download the guide to PB in Schools.
Get 18 lessons, 6 worksheets, and everything you need to bring PB to a school budget!
Students will learn to work collaboratively, conduct research, solve problems, present solutions, build empathy, deepen community, and explore why participation in democracy matters.
3. Learn more!
Sign up for our newsletter so you never miss an update about the future of PB in Schools.
Consider looking back to read our previous posts about PB in Schools—including the district-wide funds PB process that was featured in the video! [blog post link]
4. Join the community of supporters that make this work possible.
We’re really into this participatory budgeting thing.
Every year we set aside half the money raised by individuals to let our community directly decide how to spend it to make PB more equitable and effective. We call it PB2 (or “PB squared”), it’s PB for PBP.
We know that all PB processes address big concerns. It’s been surprising and exciting to see that for the last two years, our supporters have chosen to support PB processes in schools. You funded the PB in Schools Guide in 2015. In 2016, you supported this new advocacy video.
Support from donors lets us try new things. Without this support, thousands of students would never have had the opportunity to directly decide a portion of their school budgets.
PB works because you show up. Thank you for making democracy better with us.
- SMS Outreach Guide - November 15, 2017
- What do you think about our democracy? - October 11, 2017
- PBP News: International Conference, Trainings, Youth Leaders, and Scaling Up - October 2, 2017