Participatory budgeting has been an object of research since its origins in Brazil.
Researchers from around the world have helped us understand the impacts of PB, as well as how it might be improved.
The North America Participatory Budgeting Research Board has convened since 2014. Research Board members conduct individual and collaborative research, as well as develop and share Key Metrics.
This collaboration to coordinate research to evaluate PB comes from the work of Public Agenda; read more about their groundwork here.
Participatory Budgeting Report
- Why Let the People Decide?: Elected Officials on Participatory Budgeting (Public Agenda, 2016)
- A Process of Growth: The Expansion of Participatory Budgeting in the United States and Canada in 2015 - 16 (Public Agenda, 2016)
- Public Spending, by the People: Participatory Budgeting in the US and Canada in 2014-15 Public Agenda (May, 2016)
- A total of 46 jurisdictions across 13 cities in the U.S. and Canada undertook PB between July 2014 and June 2015. During that time, public officials allocated nearly US$50 million to PB projects. 73,381 residents voted on 892 projects, and 360 projects won public funding.
- White Paper. Participatory Budgeting: Next Generation Democracy. Participatory Budgeting Project (September, 2016)
- By the People, For the People: Participatory Budgeting from the Bottom Up in North America (Josh Lerner & Donata Secondo, 2012)
- Evaluation Report of Participatory Budgeting at Toronto Community Housing Josh Lerner & Joanna Duarte Laudon (2010)
New York City
- A People’s Budget: A Research and Evaluation Report on Participatory Budgeting in New York City. Cycle 4: Key Research Findings - Community Development Project, Urban Justice Center (October 2015).
- A People’s Budget: A Research and Evaluation Report on Participatory Budgeting in New York City, Year 3 - Community Development Project, Urban Justice Center (October 2014)
- Find more reports on PBNYC at the Community Development Project, Urban Justice Center
PB Evaluation Library
PBP's partners have produced evaluations and reports on PB in the US and Canada. Below, find a library allowing you to peruse public reports from our partners.