Come work with the Participatory Budgeting Project!
You: A practical problem-solver who gets things done and is committed to democracy. You have an eye for executing and improving internal systems, a mind for managing budget numbers and equipment specs, and a heart for supporting a process-oriented and hard-working team.
Us: A young non-profit organization growing rapidly to support the expanding field of participatory budgeting (PB), the Participatory Budgeting Project (PBP) empowers people across North America to decide together how to spend public money. We create and support PB processes that deepen democracy, build stronger communities, and make public budgets more equitable and effective. Through our work with partners in cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, and Vallejo (CA), we have engaged 46,000 people in deciding how to spend $45 million. PBP currently has ten full-time staff members in three cities: Brooklyn, Chicago, and Oakland.
Learn more below or download the Position Description [PDF].
The Participatory Budgeting Project is seeking an Operations Manager to ensure the smooth running of our administrative and operational activities, and provide the infrastructure necessary to keep our programmatic work successful. The Operations Manager will manage PBP’s financial operations and personnel structures, in close collaboration with the Deputy Director and Executive Director, and oversee office management, recordkeeping, IT, and administrative support for PBP’s offices. The position reports to the Deputy Director and is based in our Brooklyn, NY office.
Organizational Finances and Bookkeeping
- Coordinate bookkeeping activities with external bookkeeper, including maintenance of electronic and paper files, processing reimbursement and payment requests, and monitoring cash flow
- Work with bookkeeper and payroll service to maintain payroll
- Work with ED, Board and program staff to prepare periodic fiscal documents for project work, budget monitoring, and end of fiscal year reporting
Office and IT Management
- Manage supply and equipment purchasing for all staff
- Help maintain, improve, and troubleshoot internal communications and information infrastructure
- Help train staff on existing and new IT, both hardware and software
HR and Personnel
- Administer and manage staff benefits
- Work with Deputy Director and staff to keep Employee Handbook updated and compliant with state and federal laws
- Assist in coordinating hiring and onboarding for interns, new staff, and contractors
- Provide logistical support as needed for events, including conferences, retreats, convenings, and fundraising events
- Help ensure compliance with state and federal laws for PBP general operations as well as project work in the US and Canada
Desired Experience, Skills, and Strengths
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least three years of demonstrated experience in an office environment, with progressively increasing responsibilities. Must include direct experience with budgeting, human resources, financial administration and office management
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize, and effectively delegate large volumes of work
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Strong computer and technical skills; ability to work across platforms and to learn new technology quickly; especially strong skills in Microsoft Excel and Google Spreadsheets
- Strong people skills, and ability and desire to work collaboratively with a diverse group
- Good judgment, common sense, and ability to work independently
- Dedication to workplace democracy and transparency
- Flexibility to adapt as our organization and work changes
We understand that there are a wide variety of paths towards the skills necessary for the position. As such, there are no formal educational requirements, as long as the applicant can demonstrate mastery of the desired skills. We do, however, value experience gained through educational programs, including credits completed in related subjects such as accounting or financial administration.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Strong benefits include health insurance, 4 weeks paid vacation, and a commitment to staff development and a healthy work environment.
How to Apply
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 6, 2015, with Operations Manager in the subject line. Applications should include the following, if possible compiled in a single pdf: 1) cover letter explaining your relevant experience and interest in the position; 2) resume; and 3) list of three professional references with contact information. Expected start date is April 27th.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and LGBTQ individuals.